Slate is a foliated, fine-grained metamorphic rock formed by the alteration or change of shale (its parent rock) by regional, low-grade metamorphism.
Qualities of Slate
- Due to its vast metamorphic history, slate is very strong and durable.
- It has a hardness of 5.5 on Mohs scale and is strong enough to scratch steel and glass.
- It occurs in diverse colors based on the kinds of minerals present. Haematite causes a red color, and chlorite causes a green color.
- Slate is opaque and does not transmit light
Benefits of Slate
- Highly durable with a great appearance
- Resistant to frost and breakage
- Fire and mold resistant
- It absorbs minimal moisture and can easily be cut into thin sheets for use
Uses of Slate
- Widely used for paving tiles, shingles, and roofing
- Used for decorative purposes like picture frames, jewelry etc.
- Used to make chalkboards for schools and as a natural canvas
- It is used for interior and exterior flooring and decorative aggregate
- Due to its insulating property, it was used for electrical panels in the past
- High-quality slate is also used for tombstones and tablets
Contact Re-Vive stonecare for all your Slate repair, restoration and installation needs from worktops to floors and features and decorative stonework. 01279 315545 or mobile 0773 7655871.